Starmine Minecraft Server - Survival 46.105.108.19:25594
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Starmine Minecraft Server - Survival 46.105.108.19:25594

Starmine Minecraft Server Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dragon Cry News

Go down 
+6
Flaughternaught (Akikira)
GravekeepersCat
Hohahihehu
Mr.JimBlob
PeachCai
Aaranos
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Aaranos

Aaranos

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptySun May 27, 2012 3:59 pm

Dragon Cry News 2012-05-29_205242-1

I have had many ideas for this server and since I love the starmine server I will be doing a variety of things to help others and to make the server closer. This is a place for me to express my concerns and ideas, so if anyone takes offense to something or maybe help out then feel free to reply or message me.

Main Topics:

- Server Rank Issue

The ranks in the server are completely unbalanced. The donors are basically more powered up than the moderators are. So basically money talks on the server. After you become a builder there is nothing to do but become a mod next, but look at how far that gap between the two is. There should be something above builder that is equal to something a donor can get to but takes time and effort. There is no reason that someone who pays should always have more than someone just because of money. Yes, it is fine to give it to them at a cost, but make it so other people can earn their way up.

- Enderman

There is no legit reason for enderman to be taken off of the server completely. I have asked around and it appears that the main reason is so that players can not get into the End because it would crash the server. This may be a good reason in theory but it all falls apart when the owner can simply turn off the End and allow us to have our lovely purple eyed mob back. There are plenty of reasons to give enderman back and with the new update on the way it just got bigger.

- Community Events

On the server I have played for about a month if not more. Now in that time I have never seen a community project or event. Part of a healthy community is people working together or having something to work towards. Obviously the staff have been busy of late so they can't be bothered. Some would argue that the mob arena is a community thing since it is a team game. I don't think it really qualifies so I have some ideas.

I propose that we have a community events leader and staff. Someone should be able to plan events, get them approved by current staff and have them rolled out. Now here are some of my ideas that I plan to do regardless of if I get server staff support.

The Abandoned Ship

In this event, someone whether it be me or staff, will have a ship built and placed at a set location. The ship will have multiple floors with various obstacles and problems. In some instances there will be a riddle, a trap, a mob spawner, a puzzle, a maze, and endless ideas. At the very bottom of the ship there will be a treasure chest that has some nice loot and sometimes special items collected along the way will grant the owner a special prize. Now this could also be done with multiple paths and chests so multiple people can win something.

One variant of this is Destroy the Spawner, where there is a spawner encased in obsidian that you must find and break. Of course you have to fight off the swarms of mobs as well. This would be a team game which is mobs vs players and if the players win they each get some loot / mines.

Riddle Master

In this event there will be one person in charge of the riddles and saying them. The objective is obviously to get the answer correct. This can be done with everyone for themselves or in a team manner. The winning player(s) will receive a prize.

A variant to this would be a sort of treasure hunt, the players would be read riddles in a spaced time and they have to go find the items that are the answers for the riddle. That is not all, the riddle master will also have clues as to where he can be found. In order to win the prize you must find the riddle master (legally, so no teleporting!) and depositing the items in the chest. If you have everything then you get the prize, if you do not have everything then the player that wins gets whatever is in the other chests as well as the grand prize! So you better be right the first time~

-New!- Heroswine

A simple game that requires pigs. There is to be a large close in area with multiple pens to store animals. The goal of the game is to get a certain number of pigs into your pen first WITHOUT using wheat. So the players will start inside their pens with a sign showing it is theirs. They must then find a way to get the pigs into the pens without using wheat. Players will be allowed to use water which could be used in offense or defense. They could flush the pigs out of an opponents pen or maybe herd them into their own!

More to be posted later~

I will also be teaching players how to use redstone and make useful devices if they so desire. So leave a reply or message me if you are interested in any of this and tell me.

Last edited by Aaranos on Wed May 30, 2012 11:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
PeachCai

PeachCai

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptySun May 27, 2012 7:26 pm

Just on the issue of Moderator, that is the rank people earn, it gives them the ability to hawkeye. If a mod had paid for any donator rank, these abilities are carried on over to their mod status
Back to top Go down
Aaranos

Aaranos

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyMon May 28, 2012 2:59 am

That's all fine that they get to carry over stuff, but it doesn't change the fact that there are a limited number of moderators so the chance for advancement are few. A donor also shouldn't have more than someone that protects the server, just makes it wrong.
Back to top Go down
Mr.JimBlob

Mr.JimBlob

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyMon May 28, 2012 3:05 am

Well they are not forced to pay, they donate because they want to keep the server going or want fancy new powers, but people that donate barmy amounts to get a rank deserve to have more power that your average member, After all there money keeps the server going, if all the donation ranks were the same a builder nobody would donate because they can just play for 20 hours and get it free
Back to top Go down
Aaranos

Aaranos

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyMon May 28, 2012 3:11 am

If you read what I said I think it's stupid to give people more power than a mod just because they have 30 bucks in their pocket. I also stated that there needs to be something beyond builder that is closer to the donor spot if not equal. I believe the donor spots should be what you can earn through play or money. I'm not saying it should be simple but a game where money talks shouldn't be minecraft.

Getting donations helps the server run, but it doesn't help the community if all you get are people overpowered because they spent some money.
Back to top Go down
Hohahihehu

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyMon May 28, 2012 3:23 am

I do think that the fact that Moderators have less powers than donators is a bit absurd. Moderators are people donating their TIME to the server, in order to make it function. Time is money, right? We're doing this in order to help the server out, there's no one forcing us to, and we aren't getting paid. I can definitely understand donators being above other members, but not above moderators. There's no application process to become a donator, but there's scrutiny on who can become a moderator. If we need to make the criteria to be a mod more difficult to achieve in exchange for getting more moderator powers, so be it.
Back to top Go down
GravekeepersCat

GravekeepersCat

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyMon May 28, 2012 7:47 am

I have to say i agree with all three of your points Aaran, but most strongly on the Mod subject and the ranking system as a whole.

With the way the ranks are currently set up, money is everything. theirs at least 8 different ranks for ONLY donators, including the most unfair of those, which is Star, who gain flight and creative on a "survival" server, regardless of what they paid, that is incredibly unfair.
Where as the only ranks attainable by members are, of course, Member; Builder, which is a joke of a rank not even worth mention, and holds not even a fraction of the meaning it once did; and staff ranks.
Then on to the staff ranks themselves.
Yes, its true you earn RIGHT to apply for mod, but a worthy mod gives up far more in time and effort then they gain by their rank. And it should not be seen as comparable to a rank up for members.
Mods. as a mod you really have next to no tools to do your job. We have Hawkeye and Bans. thats really it. and those are only of any use in the most extreme cases such as griefing and stealing. it's maddening to have to wait for an Admin just to temp-ban, ban an offline player, do protections, and well, anything else.
And Admins have literally else. There is an innumerable gap between Mod and Admin, and though there should be a large gap, it shouldn't be the grand canyon.
As Hoha said, if we need more stringent guidelines for who gains mod, so be it. but give them some sibilance of capability deserving of their position.

~Mao
Back to top Go down
Aaranos

Aaranos

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyMon May 28, 2012 7:52 am

Well said Mao. I think if we can get enough approval from players then something will be done about it. Obviously some things are easier than others to fix or work with but I can see that something will and needs to be done.

I would say that the first thing to be fixed should be the ranks. However, I have limited knowledge about them and have no say in the matters. So I leave that in the hands of the admins/mods/server owner.

What I plan to do is work on that community event staff and try to get it approved. Even if it doesn't get approved I'll try to run some events that are within my abilities to do.
Back to top Go down

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyMon May 28, 2012 1:24 pm

That is rather silly having donators with more power than mods. Also it would be nice to bring back builder+.
Back to top Go down
Aaranos

Aaranos

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyMon May 28, 2012 2:00 pm

Currently I am working on a community redstone museum that will have a large collection of builds for people to copy and to learn how to use redstone. If you have something that is compact and useful contact me and show me it.
Back to top Go down

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyTue May 29, 2012 11:53 am

I have a redstone combo lock.
Back to top Go down
Aaranos

Aaranos

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyTue May 29, 2012 12:16 pm

You have to be a bit more descriptive than that. That describes about anything that has to do with redstone lol.
Back to top Go down

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyTue May 29, 2012 12:24 pm

the numbers for the lock have to be put in order (first button would activate and gate as well as pushing a piston causing the next button to function).

If you want to come see it stop by at the redstone vault and ask a member of the redstone club to let you in (currently only me Nile and Iforgetwho).

It could probably be made smaller but it's not huge.
Back to top Go down
Aaranos

Aaranos

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyTue May 29, 2012 12:38 pm

Roughly how much space does it take up? And would it be possible to display it in a way for people to replicate?
Back to top Go down
Aaranos

Aaranos

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyWed May 30, 2012 3:12 am

For anyone interested in helping the community by forming an event staff please leave a comment below. Even with the server reset on the way there is time for at least one event.
Back to top Go down
Snowyboy

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyWed May 30, 2012 3:58 am

I see alot of people saying that donator rank has more power then moderator but this is not true.
Also Mao mentioned that star gets creative and flight , but this also is not true , I gave serp creative because I trust him.
Back to top Go down
Aaranos

Aaranos

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyWed May 30, 2012 4:45 am

That is still not fair in a survival server. And as it stands a moderator does not have access to the tools they need to properly do their job. They can ban but not temp ban, they can't give protection, they can't ban or temp ban people that are offline. They have to turn to the admins for a lot of work.

the tempban and banning of people offline is something we had always intended for them to have, the perms is what sets an admin as a separate entity - both are expected to help run a fun community, bump the MC forum to keep new players coming to the server, and help out players on the server
Back to top Go down
Arronsyaoran

Arronsyaoran

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 11:15 am

sunny I would really love to see a return of the Enderman. The way to solve the Ender problem would be to destroy all Portal Frames in all 3 strongholds and only let the Owners/Co-owners have access to End Portal/Portal Frame Blocks. Or maybe surround the End Portal in bedrock.

As for Ranks, I would really love to see a step in between Builder and Moderator. I too believe the gap is too high, even compared between Builder and Member.

As For Community, I will like to do team building(such as the Endoftheworld Party Pavilion) as well as run some player made dungeons.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Pie55555

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 11:38 am

Snowy has A hard dission To make With 2 Servers.
He made The COmmands For a reason.
And Builder rank Is Nice and Easy to Get.
When I got My builder It was 100hrs to get.
Snowman Are out for a reason=Someone spawned All these snowman and the /warp city area GOt Deystroyed.
Enderman Has a lag Issue I think
Donators Can't /kick or /ban And those are the Big commands Than Mean Power.
Riddle Master happend A while ago But Players Made it Up and Stuff.
When Ryry Was On the server He Got A few items HE thought Were Cool and Gave them out when someone Got the right awnser
The Only thing That I Agree With you In this is more events. But I know Y We don't Have ANother One.
We had one 4 and a half Months Ago when the server was VERY new.
If you do /warp newcity You can see the Contest.
But the Problem Was that People Were spawning A lot of Items In Creative (Because Of A building Compitish)
This is What Some of the Anseres Of all your things
Back to top Go down
Aaranos

Aaranos

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 11:57 am

Pie next time you post please use the built in spell check and grammar check. It seems to all be a jumble of thoughts. It's easy to say someone has a reason but its a lot harder to question that "reason". I never mentioned snow golems for one. I never complained about the time it takes to reach builder, and I wasn't asking questions I was giving my opinion as a player.

It's up to the collective staff to decide if they want to read it and decide if they like it or not.
Back to top Go down
Pie55555

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 12:05 pm

I was Just telling as I found in all Posts. >_>
Back to top Go down
Pie55555

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 12:09 pm

Mabye I redd It wrong. And My Bad Grammer is My problem
Back to top Go down
Aaranos

Aaranos

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 12:31 pm

It's harder to make your point or rather for me to understand your point if I have to decipher your message. I appreciate the comments whether they be for or against my idea(s).
Back to top Go down
Pie55555

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 12:32 pm

I am Now Confused. xD
Back to top Go down
Mr Hobnob

Mr Hobnob

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 7:30 pm

i agree with Mao and Aaranos with this one ... Its really unfair how some of the donator ranks end up some how being greater powered then Mod ( A member of staff that helps to run the server)..

I think some Mods are hacked of with this but too scared to say because of the consequenses it holds.. and maybe even Admins are too.

I think no donator rank should even come a hundered miles from the powers of the Moderator ..

Lastly i think there should be a rank between builder and donator because the gap is humungouse ..... I was thinking of some ranks..

Architect (if the servers in need of building help there the ones to call ..)

Civillian (instead of member -sounds a bit cooler)

knight ( a quite hard rank to get for the members & members look up at them )

Just some of my ideas =) ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dragon Cry News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Cry News   Dragon Cry News Empty

Back to top Go down

Dragon Cry News
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next