Starmine Minecraft Server - Survival 46.105.108.19:25594
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Starmine Minecraft Server - Survival 46.105.108.19:25594

Starmine Minecraft Server Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Noticed something

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Gornduff

Gornduff

Noticed something Empty
PostSubject: Noticed something   Noticed something EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 9:29 am

I recently noticed something about Television shows and (to an extent), stereotypical "soccer moms" that really just ticks me off.
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was flamed by dozens of people for /one/ character, Derpy (A.K.A. Ditzy Doo), who was technically mentally retarded. The people who make MLP:FiM had to change Derpy to not have a name, and to have her voice actor stop doing a "dumb" sounding voice, and switch over to something cleaner.
Pokemon Black & White, on the other hand, has three Pokemon referencing mental retardation, Timburr, Gerdurr, and Conkeldurr, yet those three Pokemon have not been flamed, referenced, or even mentioned by anybody as of being even mildly offensive.

I kind of see this as proof of a really backhanded society, and would like to hear some people's input on this.
Back to top Go down
NexusSaber

NexusSaber

Location : Hyrule,Kanto,Johto,Hoenn,Sinnoh,Unova and many more.

Noticed something Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noticed something   Noticed something EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 9:36 am

How are Timburr, Gerdurr, and Conkeldurr referencing mental retardation?

They seem like buff clowns to me.
Back to top Go down
NexusSaber

NexusSaber

Noticed something Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noticed something   Noticed something EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 9:43 am

The names just have a extra "r" to what they are hold. They are contractions pokemon.
Back to top Go down
Gornduff

Gornduff

Noticed something Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noticed something   Noticed something EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 9:48 am

Yes, but looking at Gerdurr and Conkeldurr, they both are rather sluggish, more heavily mechanical in movement than Timburr (More mechanical, sluggish movement is one of the signs of mental retardation, due to a person's slower response times and incapability to perform mildly complex cognitive tasks), their names each end with "durr", which, like "derpy" or "derp", references a generally stupid, unideal, or unplanned moment where things go wrong. Also, all three of the Pokemon have a rather dumb sounding voice, which, like Derpy, would reference mental retardation. (Side note, yes, I do know that mental retardation is a touchy-subject, and I've often said that, but I do feel this is as good a point as any to point out some of the facts.)
Back to top Go down
Marsh_The_Mod_On_Fire

Marsh_The_Mod_On_Fire

Noticed something Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noticed something   Noticed something EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 9:57 am

Even if they 'sneak' the reference in its still a good game but how did it turn fron soccer moms to derpy pokemon?
Back to top Go down
NexusSaber

NexusSaber

Noticed something Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noticed something   Noticed something EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 10:00 am

I have heard the voice but i never thought that. They Pokédex entries has nothing bad. And also this is from bulbapedia. Conkeldurr is a bipedal, primarily sepia-colored, ogre-like Fighting-type Pokémon. I thought that part may clear it up. Also these people seem like body builders.

Last edited by NexusSaber on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NexusSaber

NexusSaber

Noticed something Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noticed something   Noticed something EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 10:03 am

People over react sometimes. Pokemon or anything are not making fun of anyone or thing. People just go with a guess really.
Back to top Go down
Gornduff

Gornduff

Noticed something Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noticed something   Noticed something EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 10:20 am

The "soccer moms" thing I stated was a slight tension breaker beings that "soccer moms" are stereotypical people who attack anything and anything simply because they think too much of their children. For instance, in MLP, Derpy's first actual appearance (not being a "Where's Waldo?" type thing, but an actual appearance) she was absent-mindedly bouncing on a storm cloud causing accidental havoc to Ponyville, and even when told not to do anything by Rainbow Dash, had accidentally busted up the Town Hall's flooring. The "soccer moms" caught wind of all this and didn't want their children to be open to having a character who even in the slightest seems mentally defunct, so they aggressed the Hub to alter the scene. My main reason for making this topic is on the concern that both Derpy, and the three Ogre Pokemon from Black & White are almost entirely similar, save the physical attributes, and the fact that one of them had to be changed due to issues with overly-sensitive parents.
Back to top Go down
NexusSaber

NexusSaber

Noticed something Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noticed something   Noticed something EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 10:39 am

I know I saw this comic about parents overreactioning.

Panel one Kid was pretending to be George Washington fighting in the war. Parent was ok.
Same kid. He is pretending to be Dr.Freeman(I felt like calling him docter.)from Half-life
Same mom was freaking out.

Video games,TV or anything does not mess up kids. its the PARENTS.If you don't want your son to play Halo don't buy it. People over react.I don't watch or care about the pony show but from what you said about it i see nothing bad about it.
People just want to find a something to blame for problem. So they think lets blame TV and video games or whatever is popular.

Also heres a question. If little Timmy learns a swear word from a rated M game. Who is to blame?

PS: Those pokemon are still ok. There body building orges.(have you ever seen a quick and fast body builder so had a nice/great voice.)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Noticed something Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noticed something   Noticed something Empty

Back to top Go down

Noticed something
Page 1 of 1