Starmine Minecraft Server - Survival 46.105.108.19:25594
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Starmine Minecraft Server - Survival 46.105.108.19:25594

Starmine Minecraft Server Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Protecting Buildings from Monsters

Go down 
+4
DemonicLord_Kai
PeachCai
Flaughternaught (Akikira)
Arronsyaoran
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Arronsyaoran

Arronsyaoran

Protecting Buildings from Monsters Empty
PostSubject: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 11:55 pm

Should I use Fences(Spiders can get over them and in SMP Mobs MIGHT get over them), a Pit(Can't see creepers that are in the pit, and takes alot of digging), or a wall of Glass Blocks(takes alot of glass)?

Cost Effectiveness:
Fence(Best)
Digging a pit(Takes too much time, Second Best)
Glass Wall(Worst)

Protection Effectiveness:
Glass Wall(Best, except if players manage to break the glass, then worst)
Digging a pit(Second Best, Mobs become hard to see and players can fall in on accident)
Fence(Second Worst, Mobs can glitch over fences, but at least I don't have to worry about player mishaps)
Glass Wall with a hole in it(Worst, Mobs can get in easily)

To seal the Gap(to provide entrance), i'll use doors, fence gates and redstone bridges.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 1:44 pm

Try a 3high wall with an overhang.
Back to top Go down
PeachCai

PeachCai

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 5:51 pm

Light up the surrounding area?
Back to top Go down
DemonicLord_Kai

DemonicLord_Kai

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 1:47 am

Build a massive wall with a sealed top and light the entire inside.
Back to top Go down
RyubosJ

RyubosJ

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 6:29 am

what like yours?
Back to top Go down
iAsh_

iAsh_

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 7:35 am

Kaito thats gonna take alot of time and effort. I know for a fact that arron don't stay on MC for long ;/
Back to top Go down
DemonicLord_Kai

DemonicLord_Kai

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 7:57 am

Mine is a 200x200 wall >.>
He just needs to just cup the area around his build o3o
Back to top Go down
RyubosJ

RyubosJ

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 9:59 am

please finish it soon.
Back to top Go down
Arronsyaoran

Arronsyaoran

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 1:13 pm

A wall is not going to work unless it's made of glass. The ability to see the other side of the wall is crucial. The overhang isn't necessary because I mostly wanna keep zombies skellys and creepers out and not spiders.

So it comes down to either dig a pit(monsters dont die, possibly monster obscurity), 2 high glass wall or area of fences. I'm already going to build an inner brick wall that i want untouched by mobs. I was hoping for a lava/water trap, but that'd only work if admins can place flowing lava.

Any suggestions that will kill mobs that approach the area?

PeachCai wrote:
Light up the surrounding area?
A. That isn't the most effective solution, because I've seen lit up areas that still had mobs spawn(only in large open areas), like the city shop area of Era 1.

Edit: Update: So unless there's suggestions that will kill mobs that come near the area, I've figured that Glass panes would provide the best protection, although would look not-so-aesthetically-pleasing to a castle. If there's no mob-killing barriers I can build, and Admins *can't* place *flowing* lava, It'd be a vote for Aesthetics(water moat or Fence barrier) or Maximum Protection(2 high glass pane outer wall, which mobs cannot see through, but you can see them).

The other problems are:
1. with Glass panes, if someone griefs the wall AT ALL, mobs can see you and enter, and it's hard to see the broken area over a large 75x75 span.
2. with Fence posts, Skeletons can still shoot you and creepers can still explode if you go close enough to the fence.
3. with Fence posts, in SMP sometimes mobs can glitch over walls.
4. with Water Moat, I'd have to dig a deeper pit to prevent mobs from ever coming out of the pit.
5. with Water Moat, Creepers can still explode, Skeletons can still shoot, and they will antagonize you until all players leave the castle area.
6. with all 3 options, Fences cost alot of wood which I never cut down, I only buy it(explanation below); Glass costs alot of sand,
and it's hard to dig sand without ruining a desert; Digging a deep pit is alot of work, and not a very rewarding one without flowing lava.
I don't cut trees because I don't want to level McMMO's Woodcutting skill at all. I want to keep it at zero. Especially the "What'cha know about choppin' Wood!" from Inthelittlewood's playthrough of Yogbox Episode 1-4.
Back to top Go down
Muffinmuncher115

Muffinmuncher115

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 2:48 pm

Arrow machine gun... Works everytime..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 3:06 pm

Dig a flowing moat that sends the mobs to a cactus for a rather prickly death. I seen one work, even though it was shallow it was fine though a deep on would be better.
Back to top Go down
RyubosJ

RyubosJ

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 8:17 pm

do a 25 deep hole with a metal door
Back to top Go down
Arronsyaoran

Arronsyaoran

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 1:41 pm

1. How do I multiquote?
2. Arrow machine guns take too much space.
3. The Cactus Trap seems like the best so far. I'd probably dig the hole 3 deep with 2 high cactus so the moat looks even at the top.
4. 25 deep hole is way too much digging. I think you mean to have the mobs die from falling, but most mobs refuse to jump down steep pits. Idk how the Iron door would come into play, aside from an entrance door.
Back to top Go down
canofpearies

canofpearies

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 2:45 pm

for the 25 deep hole thingy, if you put signs in the gap the mobs think they can walk over it because they think the signs are full blocks therfor they can walk over them. they end up having a higher chance of falling into the hole and diing.
hope this helped
--canofpearies
Back to top Go down
RyubosJ

RyubosJ

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 9:34 pm

the iron door is to collect drops
Back to top Go down
Arronsyaoran

Arronsyaoran

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 2:18 am

I'm going to use the Cactus idea. The only thing I need to figure out is to make flowing water deeper than 1 block. If I try to place a bucket above, the flowing water only flows 1 block away from the source, and it increases the chance of mobs using it to get to the other side of the castle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 7:47 am

try making the moat deeper. Then it doesn't matter if the water isn't deep enough.
Back to top Go down
Arronsyaoran

Arronsyaoran

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 4:21 am

like a staircase? or with flat bottom with 1-2 source water with flowing water on top?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Buildings from Monsters   Protecting Buildings from Monsters Empty

Back to top Go down

Protecting Buildings from Monsters
Page 1 of 1